One of ACEDS’s (Association of Certified eDiscovery Specialists) goals is to promote LegalTech education, which in itself leads to certification and further professionalization of our field.
Law firms, forensic investigators, corporates, government & regulatory agencies are in high demand for better educated legal professionals. On the one hand, Academic Universities and Universities of Applied Sciences are often accused of not properly educating such future legal professionals. On the other, Benelux Universities clearly lead in LegalTech education. For this reason, we decided that the upcoming eDiscovery day, December 3rd, would be a great opportunity for educators to share what they do:
- How is LegalTech included in their curriculum?
- How do they explain technology to law students?
- How do they teach responsible use of AI and LegalTech to law students?
- What topics do they discuss: Legal Big Data, Contract Analysis, Legal Design, Automatic Decision Processes, eCourts, … there is more than you think!
- How can corporates and governments be part of these programs?
To answer these question, we invited a number of special speakers:
- Prof dr H. Jaap van den Herik. Founder of the Legal Technologies course at the University of Leiden and visionary authority on Artificial Intelligence and Law
- Prof dr Arthur Dyevre of the KU Leuven and user of LegalTech for Empirical Jurisprudence.
- Joort Visser, Ellen Oudejans, Lydwine Pijloo and Anne Elburg will tell more about their “award winning” LegalTech Minor at the Law Department of the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences.
- Ilona Opdorp-van de Kooi as chair of the LegalTech Alliance where 12 Dutch Universities of Applied Sciences collaborate and as supervisor of the minor Legal Tech at Leiden University of Applied Sciences, together with Tessa Lust.
- Peter van der Wijden, Lector Forensic ICT at Leiden University of Applied Sciences.
- As moderator of the discussions: Jan Scholtes, president ACEDS Benelux Chapter, full professor at Maastricht University and Chief Strategy Officer at ZyLAB.
This event will be in Dutch.