This internship is best for law students (University of Applied Science) who:
- have a good understanding of the legal aspects of for instance handling public records requests (“Wet Openbaarheid Bestuur” or WOB), the answering of regulatory requests or fulfilling subject access requests, and
- are interested in applying legal technology to increase the quality and efficiency of such processes.
LegalTech is more popular than ever. However, the large-scale adaptation of LegalTech is slowed down by a number of factors:
- User adaptation (or the lack of ease of use),
- Translating steps in the legal process into technology steps,
- Legal defensibility and transparency of such technology,
- Embedding technology in legal operations.
Many LegalTech applications use typical IT, AI and Data Science jargon, which is not understood by legal professionals. On the other hand, law books and case law use their own jargon, which is not understood by IT professionals and data scientists.
In order to bring these two worlds more together, this internship focusses on mapping the specific legal requirements of large information requests to the ZyLAB ONE eDiscovery software. Especially for business cases such as litigation, arbitration, subject access requests (GDPR), public records requests (verzoeken Wet Openbaarheid Bestuur – Wob), internal investigations, etc.
In addition, these internships should also document legal requirements needed to use technology for such processes and safeguard issues as privacy, security, and data protection at the same time.
The key challenges in this project are the mapping of legal terminology and requirements to that of the LegalTech world, AI and Data Science in particular. This requires a thorough understanding of all legal aspects of a certain application, as well as the ZyLAB ONE software, including its artificial intelligence and data science based machine learning and text-mining algorithms.
- For a particular legal process, what are the specific requirement from a legal point of view when LegalTech is applied?
- How can these requirements be embedded in the LegalTech process?
- How can the requirements be audited and validated?
- How can best practices best be document in a document, which is understood and accepted by both legal and IT professionals?
Other Expected / Desired Outcomes
The desired outcome is a well-documented best-practice guideline for the use of ZyLAB ONE software on a specific legal process.
More information on Data Science projects which ultimately find their application in the ZyLAB ONE platform can be found here: https://textminingum.wordpress.com/
ZyLAB will pay you an internship fee which is significant higher than what most other companies would pay you. We hear from our students that it is often 2—3 times higher than with other organizations. In addition, we will reimburse your travel cost and you can participate in all activities we organize for our employees.